As promised in my HEALTHY ROAD TRIP SNACKS post, here is a recipe for BAKED VEGGIE CHIPS.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Number of serves: 6
1 cup sweet potato, sliced
1 cup beetroot, sliced
1 cup parsnip, sliced
2 tablespoons flaxseed oil
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 pinches of salt
Optional: add a teaspoon of garlic powder, chilli powder OR ground pepper for more taste!
1. Wash, dry and peel vegetables.
2. Cut vegetables in to thin slices (about 5mm thick or even thinner if you can manage).
3. Place vegetables in a big bowl or plastic bag and season with the remaining ingredients.
4. Mix contents of bowl/shake bag like there’s no tomorrow!
5. Place seasoned vegetables on a non-stick pan – make sure there are no veggies sitting on top of each other.
6. Cook in oven for 20-25 minutes on 160-180°C – just take out when crisp and the edges have browned.
7. Allow to cool on a paper towel.
If you don’t have all the ingredients listed above, here are some substitutes…
Flaxseed oil – oils such as canola, sunflower, olive, peanut or even try coconut oil.
Dried oregano – dried thyme, dried rosemary or any dried herb of your choice.
Sweet potato, beetroot, parsnip – white potato, zucchini or carrot.
NUTRIENTS FROM ONE SERVE
1 serve = 1/2 cup of chips
Kilojoules: 390 (Calories: 93)
Total fat: 6.2g
Saturated fat: 0.5g
(This nutrient analysis has been performed using FoodWorks analysis software)