I love most vegetables… but if I had to pick an absolute favourite it would have to be zucchini.
Zucchini is such a versatile and yummy vegetable (check out my mini zucchini schnitzels recipe here).
So I have decided to mix zucchini with a few other favourite foods of mine – feta, egg and quinoa…
ZUCCHINI, FETA & QUINOA FRITTERS
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Makes: 12 serves
5 tablespoons quinoa flakes
3 tablespoons wholemeal flour
2 large zucchinis
150g feta cheese
½ teaspoon oregano
Canola oil for cooking
1. Grate zucchini in to a big mixing bowl.
2. Whisk eggs in a separate bowl then add to the zucchini.
3. Add quinoa flakes, wholemeal flour and oregano then mix.
4. Crumble up the feta and add to the mixture. Mix with a wooden spoon or fold feta in to the mixture with a spatula.
5. Put stovetop to high heat with some canola oil in it for frying.
6. Ensure canola oil is very hot. Spoon fritter mixture in to the pan and fry (about 2 heaps tablespoons of mixture). Note: mixture will be quite runny but if the oil is hot enough the fritter will form and keep shape after about 20 seconds.
7. Cook each fritter for a couple of minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Try to make the fritters flat and not too thick so that they cook all the way through only having turned them once.
8. Enjoy as a vegetarian patty in a burger, on their own as a snack or on a salad with a spoonful of natural yoghurt on top!
If you want to be even healthier, there’s no need to fry the fritters. Why not put the whole mixture in to a lined baking dish and make it a zucchini, feta and quinoa slice! Bake in the oven for approx 40 minutes on 180C or until golden brown on top!