This week is Nutrition Australia’s National Nutrition Week with the theme for 2013 being “Project Dinnertime – Cook, Eat, Enjoy”.
From October 13th – 19th it is all about encouraging the preparation of home-cooked meals and what better way to do this than to spend my week preparing a nutritious home-cooked meal every day.
Here is another one of my home-cooked creations…
Chicken and chickpea risotto
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
1/3 cup thin dry egg noodles or pasta (e.g. angel hair spaghetti)
1 tablespoon margarine spread (I used Nuttelex)
1 cup of uncooked rice (I used 1/2 brown rice and 1/2 white rice)
1.5 cups water
2 chicken breasts
1 can of chickpeas
2 cubes (or 2 teaspoons) of Massel chicken stock
1. Crush up noodles with hands then place in large pot with margarine. Brown noodles on high heat for a couple of minutes (take off heat once noodles are brown).
2. Put pot back on heat and add in rice, water and chicken stock. Cook the rice in this. Stir occasionally.
3. While the rice is cooking, poach chicken breasts in water in a separate pot on the stove top. This should take about 10 minutes (cook until chicken is white all the way through).
4. Strain chicken breasts and let them cool.
5. Once chicken breasts are cool enough to touch, with clean hands shred the chicken breast and keep in a bowl nearby.
6. Rinse and strain can of chickpeas.
7. Once the rice is cooked, add in shredded chicken breast pieces and chickpeas.
8. Stir on low heat for 3 minutes.
9. Serve with a side of garden salad or steamed veggies.
– If you are not keen on poaching your own chicken, feel free to buy a hot cooked chicken and use the breasts for this recipe. Be sure to omit the skin though!
– Feel free to get creative… One time I made this dish I used purple sticky rice with some white and brown rice…