While I am usually quite excited when shopping at the supermarket (sole reason being I am surrounded by food!), my excitement peaked the other day when I came across So Good’s Unsweetened Almond & Coconut milk.
I had such a fun few days enjoying this great tasting milk alternative in so many different ways. But before we get to the fun ways I used this product, let’s take a look at it’s nutrition content…
COMPARED TO SKIM COW’S MILK
The unsweetened almond & coconut milk is clearly lower in energy, about half of the calories than in a glass of skim cow’s milk.
There is also a very big difference in each products macro-nutrient composition:
- Cow’s milk higher in protein.
- Unsweetened almond & coconut milk higher in total fat, fairly similar saturated fat contents though.
- Cow’s milk higher in carbohydrate and sugars (due to the sugar found in cow’s milk called lactose).
- Cow’s milk has nearly double the amount of calcium than the unsweetened almond & coconut milk. For myself I know I need 840mg of calcium per day – so I can always trust that a glass of cow’s milk can provide me with over a third of my daily calcium needs. Drinking a glass of this almond & coconut milk, however, will only provide me with about a fifth of my daily calcium requirements.
Overall for me when I am buying milk, I tend to look for high protein and high calcium content, which is much more superior in my good old skim cow’s milk. But I am all about moderation and I love to enjoy a variety of food products in my diet. So while I plan to mainly stick to my skim cow’s milk, from time to time you’ll see me enjoying a tasty and different milk alternative to experiment with in the kitchen.
EXPERIMENT IN THE KITCHEN?
Well I’m glad you’re curious… See my simple and super yummy creations using the unsweetened almond & coconut milk.
1. Chia Pudding
Check out the recipe here.
2. Baked coconut and banana oats
Rolled oats, milk, mashed banana, and a pinch of baking powder. Topped with coconut and granola.
3. Almond & coconut milk with cereal
Hints of almond and coconut with my current favourite cereal Kellogg’s Special K Nourish.
4. Berry Smoothie Bowl
Frozen berries, yoghurt, honey and unsweetened almond & coconut milk blended together. Topped with chia seeds, shredded coconut and caramelised buckinis.
For more information on alternative products to your typical cow’s milk, have a look at my two-part guest article over at the Eat Sleep Dream Love Food blog where I researched different milk products on the market: