Lighthouse adventure at Wilson’s Prom

I recently mentioned on Dietitians Day (Friday 11th March) I would be hiking around the southern point of mainland Australia.

On our 6th visit to Wilson’s Promontory National Park, James and I decided to finally make our hike to the lighthouse happen. We hiked a total of 46km over 2 days and I clocked up 66,000 steps on my FitBit. It was tiring carrying large packs on our backs but so rewarding with the amazing views we saw.

The day started at 5am on day 1 with a nutritious breakfast and then we drove into Wilson’s Prom having stayed the night before in Leongatha. We were greeted by deer at the entrance of the park and then on our drive towards our hike starting point we saw wombats, wallabies and the amazing sunrise.

The hike started at 8:30am after a second (easier to digest) breakfast from Telegraph Saddle.

Clean and fresh at the start of the hike

The trek to the lighthouse was peaceful and quiet as we didn’t see a single other hiker the whole day. There were three main legs to the hike. The first part was mainly downhill, so we were still quite energetic once we arrived at Telegraph Junction. We then trekked predominantly uphill through Halfway Hut towards Roaring Meg. The walk uphill was tough because there was a lot of fog and no views to help our motivation levels! The only motivation I had was our snacks and the knowledge that we had an amazing destination at the end of this.

"We are walking towards there!" Jokes, we couldn't see a thing.

“We are walking towards there!”
Jokes, we couldn’t see a thing.

Hummus and Bakers Delight mixed seed sourdough

13km to go. This calls for hummus and Bakers Delight mixed seed sourdough

The last leg to the lighthouse wasn’t too bad as we knew we were getting close. The final paved track up to the lighthouse, however, was the worst part of the whole hike to the destination.


Giving our shoulders a break with 3.1km to go.

When the lightouse comes into view. So close yet so far!

When the lightouse comes into view. So close yet so far!

The hardest struggle at the very end. So steep.

The hardest struggle at the very end. So steep.

Once at our destination we were greeted by a wombat out front of our accommodation and the Wilson’s Prom lighthouse keeper (so to speak). We were lucky enough to be the only ones who hiked to the south-east point that day, so we received a personal tour of the lighthouse and learned about how the technology of lighting up the sea and sky over the years has now turned to being completely self managed.

Our cottage was definitely the best part. Self contained with a bed that felt like sleeping on clouds, a clean shower with hot water, and a fully equipped kitchen. A telescope and comfy couch were also great to appreciate the views outside our living room window.

We experienced the sunset, an early sleep, and sunrise the next morning before leaving heaven and hiking back.

With sore and stiff muscles we took a different route to get home, via Waterloo Bay. This was a much more scenic way to walk, but overall about an hour and a half longer than the way there (also more difficult).

We again broke up our walk into three parts, with the first part being the most difficult.

My not so favourite part of the walk was the leech infested stretch. On the track from the lighthouse to Waterloo Bay, James and I had to remove a fair few leeches from our shoes and even some that had made their way up our legs. Eager to get out of the damp track and into a dryer and more open section, we finally started to feel a sea breeze and hear the waves of the beach. We were then rewarded with the most amazing views of Waterloo Bay and Little Waterloo Bay. The view looking back on the lighthouse where we had come from was also a nice spot to take photos and have an early lunch.

Lunch time. Resting the legs.

Waterloo Bay

Waterloo Bay

From Waterloo Bay we walked inland towards Telegraph Junction on a relatively easy leg of the trip – a lot of this part was on a boardwalk or flat sand track. Because this day was the start of the long weekend, we passed many hikers who were beginning their camping trip.

Once we got to Telegraph Junction we needed to walk back the way we came on day 1 – to Telegraph Saddle. We remembered this part of the hike on day 1 was easy and downhill. Therefore it would be hard and uphill on day 2. And that it was.

The final push back to the carpark at Telegraph Saddle was exhausting and tough to say the least. But knowing there was a bottle of Gatorade and snacks in the car waiting for our return was the final bit of incentive I had to keep pushing. Well, that and my supportive other half encouraging me.

A sweaty kiss and hug at the end of our loop marked the end of our beautiful adventure.

We did it.

Highly recommend this hike for those interested in seeing the south-east point of Victoria.

Already looking forward to our next visit back to the Prom.

– Jenna


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s