My mum has been asking for my creamy pesto sauce recipe. She said ” you should just put it on your blog as I’m sure others would want the recipe too”.
I’m not sure if that’s actually the case, but if anyone else other than my mother wants this recipe, here it is 😉
- 70g butter (approx 3.5 tablespoons)
- 3 tablespoons plain flour (wholemeal flour is fine to use)
- 1.5 cups skim milk
- 1 small jar basil pesto (approx 120g). If you want to make pesto paste from scratch, see my recipe here.
- 2 x 400g packs of gnocchi (or use a 500g of any pasta)
- 2 cups of blanched green veggies such as zucchini, broccoli, green beans and peas.
- Firstly, cook the gnocchi/pasta.
- Place butter in a pot on medium heat. Let it melt and then add in the flour. Whisk until a thick paste is formed.
- Slowly whisk in the milk. Continue to whisk until milk is brought to the boil (you may need to bring the heat up higher, but not too high or the milk will burn to the bottom of the pot!).
- Once the sauce comes to the boil, turn the heat down to low and continue to whisk until thickens.
- Once thick, take off the heat. Mix in the pesto – give it a good stir.
- In one large pot, combine the cooked gnocchi, creamy sauce and blanched green vegetables. Mix all ingredients together well.
- Serve and enjoy!